Githii Honors Program Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What is the Githii Honors Program?
A. The primary purpose of the program is to provide a stimulating environment in which young scholars can confidently pursue their individual and shared intellectual interests, and build diverse relationships that support and expand their intellectual community.
Q2. Who is eligible for the Githii Honors Program?
A. Academic year 2022-23
Students with a strong academic record and demonstrated commitment to her own intellectual development will be invited to apply for the Honors Program. Any student that has achieved a high school GPA of at least a 4.0 will receive an invitation. Prospective Honors Program applicants must apply in the Early Decision or Early Action application rounds. Those who are invited will be required to submit an additional essay, provided in the invitation.
In evaluating each applicant, the Honors Program Committee considers:
· Demonstrated commitment to her own intellectual development;
· Strength of her academic program;
· Organization and clarity of her independently produced writing samples;
· Two letters of recommendation from faculty, advisors and other knowledgeable persons.
Q3. What are the benefits of being in the Githii Honors Program?
- Priority registration and housing
- Living together in a living / learning environment
- Financial support for conferences and workshops
- Smaller classes
- “Honors Program” designation on transcript
- Recognition in Commencement Program
- Membership in Honors Program Student Association (HPSA)
- Funding for research experience toward the senior thesis
- Honors Lounge with computers for honors students only
- Special diploma with Honors designation
Q4. How do I apply?
A. Any student that has achieved a high school GPA of at least a 4.0 will receive an invitation from the Admissions Office. All questions regarding invitations should be directed to the Admissions Office.
Q5. If I don’t get in the first year, can I apply after?
A. We regret to announce that the Ethel Waddell Githii Honors Program will suspend the Rising Sophomore application during the 2022 academic cycle in order to ensure that the Program has resources to adequately support its current students. The decision to suspend what had become an additional opportunity to apply for admission to our Program was a difficult one, but we have decided that our priority must be on providing our current students a meaningful and substantive experience. Students who remain interested in an Honors experience are encouraged to pursue seeking membership in academic societies within their major department.