The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization established in 1962 to provide strategic insights and practical policy solutions to decision makers concerned with global security and prosperity. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest organizations of its kind, with a staff of some 200 employees, including more than 120 analysts working to address the changing dynamics of international security across the globe.
The Research Intern will provide research and administrative support to the staff of the Global Health Policy Center and the Secretariat of the CSIS Commission on Strengthening America’s Health Security. This position is for a term of three months, with the opportunity to extend to of six months.
• Provide on-call research on topics in global health security to support meetings, events, publications, research trips, and development of multimedia materials.
• Draft written products to support the work of the Commission Secretariat, including policy memos and issue briefs.
• Provide logistical support to ensure that Global Health Policy Center and Commission private and public events run smoothly by: assisting with room setup and guest registration, taking notes during the event, and running microphones during the Q&A session.
• Attend relevant global health security events in Washington, D.C. and provide a summary to Global Health Policy Center and Commission Secretariat staff.
• Consult a wide variety of news services and peer reviewed journals and prepare memos to brief Global Health Policy Center and Commission Secretariat staff.
• Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
• Demonstrated interest in international health and global health security. Academic or practical experience in at least one area of global health security preferred, such as drug resistance, high-risk outbreaks, biotechnology, and medical countermeasures.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to work in a team environment.
• Proficiency with entire Microsoft Office Suite.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK CONDITIONS:
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job
Performances of duties require the use of hands to finger, handle, or feel. The job frequently requires ability to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please go to: https://csiscareers.silkroad.com. Interested applicants should submit a résumé, a cover letter (which includes the number of hours you are available to work per week), and a writing sample.