Ethel Waddell Githii Honors Program Admissions
The Honors Program has two admissions processes. A student may apply for Honors as part of general college first-year admissions; or, she may apply in the spring semester following her first year of study at the College.
First Year Admissions:
Spelman College employs the Common Application for admission to the College. Students who wish to be included in the Githii Honors review will receive an invitation if she meets the following minimum requirements:
- An unweighted GPA of 3.5 or better
- SAT combined math and verbal score of 1300 or better; or an ACT score of 27 or better
- Shows intellectual curiosity, initiative, leadership
- Demonstrates a record of meaningful, thoughtful, creative engagement
In evaluating each applicant, the Honors Program Committee considers:
- Demonstrated commitment to her own intellectual development;
- Strength of her academic program;
- Organization and clarity of her independently produced writing samples;
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty, advisors and other knowledgeable persons.
Rising Sophomore Admissions
Students may apply to the Honors Program on the basis of a successful first year program at the College. Honors selection is based on faculty letters of recommendation, a minimum GPA of 3.5, demonstrated intellectual curiosity and engagement within and beyond her classroom settings, and the quality of the student’s independently composed personal essay.